Sometimes it’s difficult knowing what to say to HG patients. These lists come from the HER Foundation’s community.
TOP 10 things HG patients want to hear from their providers:
- I’ll do everything I can to help you through this.
- This is not morning sickness; you have HG.
- I’m researching the latest treatments.
- Let’s take a look at that beautiful baby!
- I’ve ordered thiamin for you.
- Your prescriptions are ready and waiting.
- I know you didn’t expect a call, but I care about you and the baby and wanted to check in.
- Tell me how you’re doing, so I can be sure you are getting the treatment you need.
- Here’s my cell number if you need me.
- I asked the staff to find you a private room and bring you whatever food/fluid you tolerate.
These examples of amazing doctors were shared by the HER Foundation community.
TOP 10 things *NOT* to say to HG patients:
- Don’t worry, nearly everybody gets sick.
- Being sick means a healthy pregnancy!
- You should feel better by now, it’s been a few months.
- Maybe you should see a psychiatrist?
- Don’t think about HG; it’s mind over matter; be positive.
- It’s good you’re losing that extra weight.
- Try eating small meals and crackers.
- Maybe a shower and a walk outside would help.
- You should be happy you can get pregnant.
- You shouldn’t have more children if you can’t handle some sickness.
*These statements were shared by the HER Foundation community.
- Participate in HG research.
- Become an advocate.
- Make a gift to the HER Foundation.
- Share your story and support other HG moms.
- Become a HER Foundation volunteer.
- Blog about HG and show support for HER.
- Share resources with local health professionals and hospitals.
©2022 HER Foundation. All rights reserved.