While some medications target vomiting (ondansetron/Zofran), there are no medications that specifically target nausea. Some medications used to treat Hyperemesis Gravidarum (HG) may help reduce nausea but rarely will medications eliminate all nausea. Since there are numerous causes of nausea, treating as many as possible is most effective. This list of strategies may help reduce nausea depending on what is triggering symptoms. None works for everyone, but each may help a little.
Strategies to reduce nausea:
Avoid B1/thiamin deficiency
Acid blockers or reducing medication
Strict medication schedule
Multiple classes of medications
Non-oral routes for medication
Lower, more frequent dose of medication
Increase medication dose
Rest and lay down
Avoid unpleasant odors
Get help with cooking
Stick to safe foods and small, frequent snacks
- Participate in HG research.
- Become an advocate.
- Make a gift to the HER Foundation.
- Share your story and support other HG moms.
- Become a HER Foundation volunteer.
- Blog about HG and show support for HER.
- Share resources with local health professionals and hospitals.
©2021 HER Foundation. All rights reserved.