Top 5 Ways to Reduce Trauma in a Subsequent HG Pregnancy:
1. Create an HG Protocol that takes account what worked and didn’t work in your previous pregnancy and takes into account all of your needs. Secure a medical provider that listens, respects, and is willing to learn how to care for an HG pregnancy.
2. Create a social support team that will provide a variety of supports (e.g. childcare, emotional support, 24 hour care if needed, financial, etc.).
3. Accept your limitations. Accept where you are at the moment and give yourself permission to feel bad. Remember HG is hard.
4. Be aware of your thoughts and work toward a more compassionate narrative of yourself. For example, combat your negative thoughts with “I am doing the best I can under the circumstances, and I deserve love and care.” Practice your compassionate narrative repeatedly. Consider telehealth therapy with a therapist knowledgeable in HG or pregnancy complications to assist you in processing your experiences during pregnancy.
5. Create a postpartum plan that takes into account the time and energy it takes to heal physically and mentally from HG. This will enable you to concentrate on recovery and your baby.