Another May 17th Birthday and a scary, crazy story

Announce your births and share your birth stories here.

Moderators: HelenA, caleighbelle47

Another May 17th Birthday and a scary, crazy story

Postby Leah » Jun 02, 2011 11:23 am

Hudson Noah
5lbs 10oz
May 17, 2011

First off I will start this with everything ends up ok and everyone is here is safe and healthy.

On Monday May 9th we were outside enjoying some of the first nice weather of the season the 3 kids were happily playing all afternoon. When we went in I pulled their slide back up against the house thinking I was too pregnant and not going to do that again. Little did I know that could have saved my daughters life. At bedtime I have been sitting in our daughters room with them until they fall asleep but I wanted to get ready for a garage sale I was planning on having the next weekend so I just tucked them in instead. My husband went in and checked on them, the window was shut and locked and they were safe in bed. Not 2 minutes later my 4 year old screams. The girls had seen a bunny outside and climbed into the window (we have really large, low to the ground windows). They had opened the window and my 2 year old must have leaned against the screen because both her and the screen fell out our second story window. I dont remember much of the night, I was screaming, crying, puking and just overall a mess. I did manage to call 911 while my dh and I ran to her. It was a long scary night in the trauma room at the ER. Thankfully when she fell she landed on that slide I had lugged back against the house and it had broken her fall. After many tests, it was determined she had no head, neck or back injuries. There was literally not a bump or a scratch on her. She was in a lot of pain through the night though and the next morning it was worse. They had to take her down for more tests and found out she was bleeding internally from a lacerated spleen. The next few days were very scary, the bleeding was not stopping and they were ready at a moments notice to send her to Edmonton to have her spleen removed. Thankfully they did one last test before sending her off and her hemoglobin had gone up a point so the bleeding had stopped. She did not need surgery and got to keep her spleen. On the Friday she got to go home from the hospital I had been there the entire time, not leaving her side except to use the bathroom and twice for a quick shower. On Saturday morning I kept getting gushes of clear fluid. I looked at my husband and was like I need to tell you something, he goes. I dont want to hear it lol we just couldnt handle anymore bad news. I waited a few more hours but the gushes were getting worse so I told him I think my water broke. To which he replies no it didnt. Its actually pretty hilarious now when we tell people the story. I didnt want to go in because I was worried maybe I had just lost bladder control and that would be so humiliating. I waited until Monday morning but it was getting worse so I went in to L&D to get checked out. Turns out my water had broken and because it had been a few days they had to put me on antibiotics and keep me there. I didnt go into labor on my own so the next morning they had to start the oxytocin. It was terrible, they had me at the max dose of the drug and nothing happend I was still at 0cm dilated. At 5:30 baby's heart rate was dropping and my labor was not starting so they called in the OB. he said there was a bulge of water so he rebroke my water and thats when things got going. I was ready to push not very long after and at 6:22 after 2 pushes my baby boy was here. The cord was really tight around his neck and he wasnt breathing. It was so scary, before he was ven out the doctor had his cord clamped and cut and then he was pulled away by the pediatritian and the nicu nurses. I remember laying there freaking out because he wasnt crying and nobody was saying anything to me. I was hemoraging (sp?) and they needed to get the placenta out right away. Everything happened so fast I dont really remember it all. Because of the cord being around his neck and only being 36 weeks Hudson had to stay in the nicu for a week. When he was born his sugars were under 2 and they said they need to be at least 3 so he had to be put in the little incubator thing for the first few days. Going home from the hospital with empty arms and leaving him there was so hard. I just cried the whole way home. Luckily he wasnt there long and he is now home where he belongs. He is doing well, he still wont breastfeed so I am pumping everything for him but the lactation consultant keeps assuring me to wait until his due date and then he should start, he has jaundice, and thrush and is also tongue tied so feeding him is and uphill battle at this point. He isnt gaining as much as he should because he is still not at his birthweight but he is getting there slowly. They told me some babies come out more like 37 weeks and some more like 35 because your dates can be off and he was more like a 35 weeker in terms of his sucking and ability to keep his own body temp up. I am still trying to grasp everything that happend in the last few weeks. I think I need to talk to someone because my anxiety is so high right now. very little bump or cry I hear my heart starts racing and I think something terrible has happened. I am constantly checking on all the kids, especailly Hudson because in the hospital he had 2 episodes where he stopped breathing and needed to be stimulated. I am not sleeping and then the feeding and constantly pumping are all taking a toll on me. I have to remind myself constantly, the past is the past, everyone is here, healthy and safe. anyways, sorry for the long, unorganized birth announcement if you have made it this far :oops: I will try and post some pictures later.
Leah
Opinionated HGer

Postby KarenJ » Jun 02, 2011 11:57 am

Oh...my...goodness!! (Hugs) you have certainly been through a lot. I hope HG is gone for you and everyone is fully recovered soon.

Congrats on your beautiful baby!

Karen J.
ImageImage
KarenJ
Opinionated HGer

Postby eliana1300 » Jun 02, 2011 12:42 pm

Wow there are birth stories, and yet there are stories that go with the birth! What a tough time you must have had, but congrats on having a healthy little boy home in your arms now. I am sure his body will figure everything out soon enough for you.
Eliana
1st pg = HG 8 weeks to c-section delivery due to breech presentation--D&C at 4 months PP for retained placenta
2nd pg = HG from 6 weeks up to 7 months--scheduled c-section
eliana1300
HG Diva

Postby keow0508 » Jun 02, 2011 5:30 pm

Wow! I am floored at all that happened. So grateful that everything turned out okay but can imagine the anxiety. It is hard enough without complications. We are all here for you but a professional may be a wise place to start! Nevertheless, CONGRATS!!!
Katie

keow0508
Been There Done That

Postby slterwil » Jun 02, 2011 7:08 pm

Holy cow you have had a time of it! I'm glad your daughter is okay and hope your little man is continuing to do better. Many hugs to you mama! You are amazing.
Sandy
Angel baby 12/2005
Angel baby 5/2006
Angel baby 10/2006
Angel baby 9/2007
My sweet Erin 10/2008 5 lbs 10 ounces: untreated/undiagnosed HG from 6 -37 weeks (delivery)
Baby Riley 12/2010 6 lbs 9 ounces: HG from 6 weeks to delivery at 37 weeks (actually treated--PICC, IVs, subQ pump, Zofran, evil phenergan, benadryl, antacids--and *almost* got to be fluffy in the third tri)
slterwil
Devoted to You

Postby garnet » Jun 02, 2011 7:51 pm

Wow, I'm so glad your daughter is okay, and congratulations on the birth of your son! Crazy time you've had!

I think 3 out of 4 of us that delivered on May 17th had our babies in the NICU. I'm glad your son is home where he belongs.
garnet - mom to Nathaniel. Hg from week 7 - 36 (birth).
my blog
In the NICU since he was born, on 5/17/11 - 8/17/11
garnet
Been There Done That

Postby saskHG#2 » Jun 02, 2011 8:20 pm

Wow, just wow. Leah, this has been quite the roller coaster for you. After all of this is done, you really should write a book about your experiences and how you've made it through all of this. You're a very strong woman, I have faith that you CAN do this and you and your family will survive all of the recent trauma. Please take care, gather as much support as you can. Congrats on your boy!
Rhonda
Tai Lin, June 1 2000 mild HG
Kayah Lily, May 29 2008 mild/mod HG
Jonas Zephyr, June 28, 2011 mild HG

saskHG#2
HG Diva

Postby bucketlady » Jun 14, 2011 1:37 pm

wow well i am anxious just reading about it so i can only imagine how on edge you must be! congrats tho and hope from now on in things go smoothly!
bucketlady
Welcomed Friend

Postby Mom to Aidan & Daniel » Jul 02, 2011 2:52 pm

Leah, as always, you have my admiration and respect for all you go through and for all you do! Go for some help with the anxiety if you feel you need it. It's an investment in yourself and your family. And, you deserve some you time to regroup and decompress.
A big, huge congrats on your new little man! I hope he's doing better now, and I hope that you can get some rest!!
Sarah
ImageImage
ImageImage
Mom to Aidan & Daniel
Master of HG

Return to Birth Announcements