Spencer William is here! (and has been for a little while)

Announce your births and share your birth stories here.

Moderators: HelenA, caleighbelle47

Spencer William is here! (and has been for a little while)

Postby keow0508 » Jun 01, 2011 8:15 pm

I have been a delinquent poster because I wanted to do it when I had pictures to post but haven't gotten them downloaded yet ... Spencer William joined our family on May 22nd at 10:15 AM weighing in at 9 lbs and 9 oz and 20.75 inches long. After months of pre-term labor issues, we ended up going in to evict him. I had a repeat c-section due to some scar tissue and other problems that wouldn't allow my cervix to dilate. And ultimately, it went way better than I expected (and I got my HG prize!!). We arrived at 7 AM on Sunday (my doctor was on call for the weekend), and were supposed to go in at 9. I ended up feeling very sick when they did the IV and other preparations (I knew the no food after midnight, nerves and needles were likely going to do me in). I dry heaved for a while as we waited to go in. An emergency surgery bumped us back a little bit, so at 9:45 I took out my Z-pump for the last time and at 9:50 I walked into the OR very nervous for the spinal. It went okay and soon I was on my back getting more Zofran and phenergan and anxiously awaiting the start of the procedure. A few minutes into the procedure the nurses and doctors all shout and start laughing (not something I expected in the midst of this). My husband reportst that they sprayed themselves with some kind of water pick or something and it drenched one of the nurses and got my doctor's mask all wet ... That didn't make much sense to me, why would they have a water pick... well, they didn't, it was my amniotic fluid that became a giant fountain under all of the pressure (I had been measuring 8 weeks ahead for over a month at that point). Good thing my water didn't break at home or we would have had a flood situation. FINALLY, at 10:15 I heard my little baby boy cry (after hearing my doctor say, oh there is no way you were getting him out. He is a BIG boy!) They brought him around the curtain, a little blue and very big!! (DS 1 was 8 lbs 12 oz and 22 inches long). My hubby knew what to do this time, and so he followed Spencer (who up to this point didn't have a confirmed middle name). He took videos of them cleaning him up and starting bonding immediately with him. Of course tears poured from my eyes, and I couldn't wait to get my hands on him. He wasn't a screamer so I laid there and worried something was wrong, but fortunately, this appears to be his personality. He was just checking out the world and only got unhappy when he was too cold or they prodded him too much. I finally get put into a recovery bed at like 10:45 and get to snuggle my little one at this point. I had been so afraid I wouldn't know how to love another one as much as I loved my first and had worried that I wouldn't been as bonded to this one because it took me so long to even mentally accept I was pregnant and not dying. But in one quick moment he became a part of my heart and I sit here with tears just thinking about how much I love this little guy already. WE had an opportunity to try nursing in recovery. He didn't latch but I was thrilled we got to try. My c-section recovery has gone SO much better than the 1st time, nursing has gone so much better (I had to use a shield with DS 1 and don't have that this time and my milk has come in better as a result), and I am so much calmer about things this go round. Now, don't get me wrong, it is tiring when both kids need me at the same time (especially when that has been at 1 in the morning the past few nights) and I am still trying not to push my body too hard. I had a few waves of severe nausea in the 1st day following Spencer's birth, but I think that was more the pain killers than the HG. I was so excited to drink water and am now recovering my appetite (I think it went away because of the pain medicines as well as the months of not being able to stomach so many things). I am in heaven and cannot wait for those of you still in the HG battle to experience this side of things. The joy is astonishing!! I will post pictures soon. Thanks so much to all of you for the support and encouragement, and I know I didn't even have it as bad as some of you, but it was a personal hell and I wouldn't have made it without this group. xoxo!
Katie

keow0508
Been There Done That

Postby slterwil » Jun 01, 2011 10:27 pm

congrats!!!! So glad to hear you are HG free. The story about the amniotic geiser is too funny! Hope you can post pics soon! Welcome to the world little Spencer.
Sandy
Angel baby 12/2005
Angel baby 5/2006
Angel baby 10/2006
Angel baby 9/2007
My sweet Erin 10/2008 5 lbs 10 ounces: untreated/undiagnosed HG from 6 -37 weeks (delivery)
Baby Riley 12/2010 6 lbs 9 ounces: HG from 6 weeks to delivery at 37 weeks (actually treated--PICC, IVs, subQ pump, Zofran, evil phenergan, benadryl, antacids--and *almost* got to be fluffy in the third tri)
slterwil
Devoted to You

Postby mia1976 » Jun 17, 2011 9:58 am

KATIE!!! I'm so sorry I'm just reading your BA now! SOOOO happy for you that your little boy has joined the family and your HG is over! I feel like we made it all the way down this road together and it's SO nice to be on the other side now!! I hope you are feeling well now.
Mia

Mommy to Ella (12/18/2008) and Kira (5/26/2011). Moderate HG both times 5 weeks until delivery.
mia1976
Been There Done That

Postby DivineLotus » Jun 19, 2011 1:19 pm

So heart warming! Congrats on your little boy and on the road to being HG free!

Your story reminds me of how I felt and my fears of having a second. The bonding part... I sooo understand that now. It took me a little over a month to feel a bond with her but with her dad, it was instant. I look at the videos and pics of how little she was and I feel bad because I wished I felt then as I feel now. It gets me very emotional but now I know we always love/adore/worship our children. Eventhough we are in the fog of HG.
Second HG baby. 8/6/15
Treated with zofran, diclegis, compro, colace, jigsaw magnesium. HG 7 weeks - 17 weeks. Continued meds.

First HG baby. 4/11/11
HG 4-20weeks, little treatment, severe. Zofran, reglan, B6, placenta pervia, lost 12lbs, depression, ptsd.
DivineLotus
Opinionated HGer

Postby Kate » Jun 20, 2011 2:12 pm

Yea Katie you did it!!!! Can't wait to see pics!
<3 Kate <3

Twin angels Sept 08, Angel Feb 09, Angel July 09,
Angel August 09, Angel Feb 2010,Angel April 2010
Angel June 2010
Kate
Forum Moderator

Return to Birth Announcements