Xavier's Birth Saga

Announce your births and share your birth stories here.

Moderators: HelenA, caleighbelle47

Xavier's Birth Saga

Postby 5girls4me+12b » May 07, 2011 7:31 am

Well, this pregnancy was overwhelming, from start to finish. The good news is that my son is gorgeous and healthy and I'm not pregnant any more! : ) Thanks for all your support and well wishes, especially at the end.

After HG requiring severe brief inpatient stays and a Zofran infusion pump from weeks 4.5-12 (followed by a pretty smooth second trimester), I had a recurrence of severe hyperemesis/reflux at the end of this pregnancy as I had with my fifth. As a result, after a number of days without food or liquid I was admitted at 35.5 weeks for placement of a nasal-duodenal feeding tube. It took four different tries and hurt like crazy, but enabled me to get a little nutrition. I was in the hospital for almost a week and then sent home with the tube to wait for a 37 week lung maturity amnio and probable induction. At 37 weeks even, I went to the doctor and discovered I was 2-3 cm. and 80% effaced. The doctor stripped my membranes and said she'd talk to me the next day after my amnio. I went home and was cramping, but b/c I've never dialated past 3 cm without pitocin before, I didn't give it much thought at all. When I got home, my tube occluded. Home health couldn't fix it, so they sent me to the hospital for IV hydration and admission until they got the amnio results back. When I got to triage, I was having some painful contractions, but again didn't think much of it. The doctor checked me and I was 3-4 cm., so they decided I was in labor and admitted me to L&D. I was VERY skeptical, since my contractions hurt but again, I NEVER dialate on my own. About two hours later, I had made it to 5 cm, but my contractions were spacing out. They wouldn't augment me without favorable amnio results, so although at that time he was perfectly positioned and they could have broken my water, I sent my husband home to return for the monring amnio. All night, I continued to have painful but very infrequent contractions.

In the morning, I was taken down to the amnio room and the tech started to scan me. As she did so, I told the perinatologist that I was 5 centimeters dialated and contracting. She got upset and asked why they had sent me down when I was obviously in labor. They cancelled the amnio and sent me back, but as they did so the tech noticed that Xavier had moved to a transverse position. Since I'd had so many babies, they figured a version would be easy.

Once back in L&D, they checked me and discovered (to my great shock) that I was 8 centimeters dialated (and still not in much pain at all), I declined an epidural, thinking it would all go quickly once they turned the baby and broke my water. In fact, they did both an external AND internal version (VERY PAINFUL) THREE times. Each time, the baby turned and engaged but a soon as they let go, he'd flip to a new position. After three tries, the said there was no point continuing and I'd have to have a C-section. I was SOOOO scared and mentally unprepared for that outcome.

The section went OK, though I lost a lot of blood and probably should have had a transfusion. The recovery has been agonzingly slow and difficult, especially compared to my normal rapid recoveries. I had three e.r. visits this week for passing out (attributed to severe anemia related to the blood loss) and excessive swelling (at one week postpartum I weighed five pounds more than before I delivered---all attributed to severe malnutrition that allowed the IV fluids from the hospital to seep into my muscle tissues and puff me up by about 16 pounds). It's been a week and a half and I'm still pretty much confined to my bedroom. I'm still on narcotics, though only a few times a day. I've been told that it will be another week or two before I start to feel better, and that it will take most of the summer to restore my blood volume.

On the upside, I'm back to eating normally (HOORAY!!!), the baby is healthy, and despite some feeding difficulties (largely unrelated to hyperemesis) that make nursing impossible and pumping extremely painful, so far I've managed to pump almost all he needs.

I'm still processing everything emotionally and find it ironic that the only time I went into natural labor, I needed a section. Not the best way to end my childbearing years, but I'm grateful we're healthy and that our beautiful family is now complete. To all moms still waiting for the end to arrive, know that you're in my thoughts and prayers.

-Cecelia
Mom (37) to DDs (14, 12, 10, 8, and 3), DS (2), angel August (died 9/12 @8 weeks' gestation), and EDD 11/11/13

6x HG survivor, surviving round 7 one day at a time
5girls4me+12b

Postby Kate » May 07, 2011 5:26 pm

wow what an ordeal!!!

Congrats on your new bundle!
<3 Kate <3

Twin angels Sept 08, Angel Feb 09, Angel July 09,
Angel August 09, Angel Feb 2010,Angel April 2010
Angel June 2010
Kate
Forum Moderator

Postby mia1976 » May 07, 2011 7:57 pm

Oh my goodness! That was a lot so go through. So glad you and your LO are doing OK and I hope you continue to make progress and feel more like yourself. Congrats on that brand new baby!!
Mia

Mommy to Ella (12/18/2008) and Kira (5/26/2011). Moderate HG both times 5 weeks until delivery.
mia1976
Been There Done That

Postby DivineLotus » May 07, 2011 11:25 pm

Wow, boy do we suffer for bringing life into this world. We deserve more than 1 day.

Congrats!! and HG free
Second HG baby. 8/6/15
Treated with zofran, diclegis, compro, colace, jigsaw magnesium. HG 7 weeks - 17 weeks. Continued meds.

First HG baby. 4/11/11
HG 4-20weeks, little treatment, severe. Zofran, reglan, B6, placenta pervia, lost 12lbs, depression, ptsd.
DivineLotus
Opinionated HGer

Postby DebbieS » May 08, 2011 6:18 am

Congratulations on the birth of Xavier. I guess with this birth's C-section together with your other childrens' births you can say “I did it all”. Hope you recover from the blood loss etc quickly, and that your son continues to do well.
Deb
3xHG
DS 2003; Loss 2005.
DD 2007.
DebbieS
Devoted to You

Postby katekate » May 09, 2011 7:39 am

That sounds horrendous - but well done you've done it - congratulations on your new baby!!

Kate
Forever loved little one miscarriage at 16 weeks, due date 21st Oct 2010 (severe HG from 6 weeks)

DD Anna born 17th May 2011
katekate
Welcomed Friend

Return to Birth Announcements