She has arrived! long birth story included - Updated w/ pics

Announce your births and share your birth stories here.

Moderators: HelenA, caleighbelle47

She has arrived! long birth story included - Updated w/ pics

Postby austinfamily » Apr 06, 2010 6:21 pm

Our baby girl is finally here - just one day past her due date! Her name is Cadence Elizabeth and she arrived 4/3 at 10:27 p.m. - we still hadn't decided on a name for her so when the nurse said around 9:45 that I had reached 10 cm, DH called his sister in the waiting room and had her put DS on the phone and gave him the three name choices we had narrowed it down to and let him pick... talk about waiting til the last minute! My labor actually started in a really odd way - I had been having more uncomfortable contractions than usual since Friday evening and had passed a small amount of bloody show Saturday morning so I told DH that it would probably happen in the next day or two, but then my contractions tapered off a bit so I thought it might end up being a bit longer. Around 1:30 I slipped in a puddle of water DS had spilled in the kitchen and my legs overextended - I didn't actually fall or do a split but they definitely went farther apart than they should have, and I felt instant severe pain and pressure in my pelvis to the point where I couldn't walk. I waited about half an hour and still couldn't walk, and in the meantime my contractions started up regularly again at 3 mins apart and were getting more uncomfortable pretty quickly. I crawled upstairs b/c I had to pee and could barely even crawl around, so I realized the pain probably wasn't going to pass and called the doctor who said to come right in. My favorite doctor was on call which really made me feel alot better. When we got there I was 4 cm and as the doctor said I was "contracting like a maniac" so he said there was no way he was going to send me home. My contractions at that point were about 2 mins apart. He said I should try getting in the jacuzzi tub and that we'd wait and see if nature took its course and that maybe later if things weren't moving along they would break my water. They hooked me up to my IV and admitted me and gave me half a bag of fluid, then I got into the tub. I made it about 15 mins and the contractions were getting alot more intense so when she came in to see how I was doing I said I wanted to get out and have my epidural. When I got out they came and put my epidural in and it kicked in right away - I had my son w/ no epidural and can definitely say I prefer labor much more while numb from the waist down, lol. In all seriousness though, it was so nice to be able to be calm and not like a panicked deer in the headlights like I was while laboring w/ my son. My water broke shortly afterwards - DH had just walked out of the room to check on DS in the waiting room w/ his brother and sister, and my mom ran to get him and to tell the nurse. She checked me and I was 7 cm, and an hour or two after that I was 9 1/2 but LO was still kind of high. About 20 mins later though, she checked me again and I was 10 and LO was really low, but still didn't feel a strong need to push, although the pressure was definitely increasing a little at a time. She said that was just fine, that the more work my uterus did, the less pushing I would have to do. About 20 mins later, at 10:08, the nurse said we'd try a couple pushes and my mom left the room so it was just DH and me in there, and after just 2 contractions of pushing, the nurse called for the doctor. After about 10 mins of pushing he said that she would be out already, but that there was alot of scar tissue from my episiotomy w/ DS, and he didn't think she could get through but that we would try a few more pushes to hopefully avoid another episitiomy, but after a couple more he said he would have to do another one since she just couldn't get through that extra tissue. At 10:27, right after he made the cut, she came right out! It was funny, I had said b4hand I didn't want her put on top of me until she was cleaned up, but they put her right on me and I didn't mind at all - she won me over pretty fast :) DH hadn't planned on cutting the cord either, but the doctor asked and he agreed - I guess when they say to be open-minded about birth plans they're really not kidding - it's amazing how quickly we changed our tune about the whole thing :) She came out waving - one little arm was wrapped around the back of her head and her little hand was right at the side of her face! She was 8 lbs, 1.7 oz and 20 1/4 inches long and perfect - she cried at first but then when they took her over to get her cleaned up she just laid there and looked around and was really calm and alert. She's been a wonderful baby so far - hasn't cried once since we've been home, is up to 2 oz of formula at a time and sleeps for really long stretches at night - we have to wake her up to feed her. Right away after delivery the HG was gone completely and it's been so nice to be able to eat anything w/out worrying about whether it will turn out to be a safe food or not. On top of that, the nurses and doctors all were very nice about the HG when admitting me or just looking through my history to give me meds or anything - they all said they knew how rough it was to have and even the pediatrician who saw the baby the morning after she was born commented to her on how brave Mommy was to go through that again after having it with my first. I really feel more inclined to have another one now (although not anytime in the immediate future!), since we were able to manage it pretty well this time w/ the PICC and then Zofran the whole way through - and especially after having such an easy, wonderful labor w/ the epidural - DH and I were actually talking to the doctor about our basketball brackets while he was stitching me up, and we were just carrying on a conversation about the baby's name in between the actual pushes.
All in all I couldn't be happier w/ the way the birth went - and she has me completely wrapped around her finger already - she's just such an easygoing, pleasant baby - I couldn't ask for a calmer newborn! Definitely worth it - as you ladies all know very well :)

Finally got some pictures up:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4 ... =583868996

Last edited by austinfamily on Apr 20, 2010 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
austinfamily
Been There Done That

Postby BookishMama » Apr 06, 2010 7:31 pm

Congratulations!
BookishMama
Been There Done That

Postby luptus2000 » Apr 06, 2010 8:14 pm

congratulation! wonderful birth story!
luptus2000
Opinionated HGer

Postby eliana1300 » Apr 06, 2010 8:28 pm

Wow, sounds like it went very well for you! I am so glad, and what a beautiful name!
Eliana
1st pg = HG 8 weeks to c-section delivery due to breech presentation--D&C at 4 months PP for retained placenta
2nd pg = HG from 6 weeks up to 7 months--scheduled c-section
eliana1300
HG Diva

Postby nicolelang » Apr 06, 2010 9:27 pm

Love the name! Good I'm glad everything went okay for you! How are you feeling now?
nicolelang
Welcomed Friend

Postby *Mel* » Apr 06, 2010 10:58 pm

Congrats ;) Love the name i can't wait to see her picture! So glad your Hg free!
Home heath care IVs- 2 PICC lines,Zofran, Phenergan,Ambien, Migraine Meds, Steroids, Ativan

*Mel*
Forum Moderator

Postby alli » Apr 07, 2010 8:46 am

Congratulations, thats wonderful news!
Alli mum to
Tessa Elizabeth 4/23/07 HG
Angel Nov 08 HG
Angel Feb 09 HG
Angel July 09 HG
Sophie McKenzie 6/9/10 severe HG
alli
Been There Done That

Postby KarenJ » Apr 07, 2010 8:48 am

Congrats! :-). Thanks for sharing your story and I hope I have one of my own to tell soon!

Karen J.
ImageImage
KarenJ
Opinionated HGer

Postby JEBE » Apr 07, 2010 10:27 am

Congratulations! You make me want a baby girl now!
1st PG hg:14wks-delivery
2nd PG HG under control with medication from 7wks - delivery.
3rd PG HG under control with medication as well 12wks-?
JEBE
Opinionated HGer

Postby Shyonelisa » Apr 07, 2010 1:10 pm

Hooray, I've been waiting for someone else to "pop" so I'd have something good to look forward too! Your labor sounded fantastic, and I'm so glad the HG went instantly away. Now I'll be patiently awaiting some pictures!
DD-NVP 2 weeks (1996)
DS-Severe HG (2006)
Flapjack aka DD-Severe HG (2010)

One day at a time!
Shyonelisa
Opinionated HGer

Postby JulianaHG » Apr 07, 2010 1:22 pm

congrats!xxxxxx
JulianaHG
Opinionated HGer

Postby screamin' » Apr 07, 2010 4:46 pm

congratulations! another victory over HG!
enjoy your baby time.
4 sons (1996,1999,2004,2010)- 1 angel girl at 16wks gest. (april 1st 2008)- all HG
screamin'
Devoted to You

Postby Sallyt » Apr 14, 2010 9:45 am

CONGRATULATIONS! LOVE SALLY X
Suffered with no. 1 upto about 5 months, 36 hours in hospital rehydration
DS- Dylan Brecon born 04/07/07
DD- Matilda Rose born 17/04/10
Suffered HG 6 -24 weeks.
Sallyt
Been There Done That

Postby Schatje » Apr 14, 2010 10:54 am

Congratulations! Sounds like an awesome experience. I loved my epidural too. :D
~Heidi 2X HG survivor
Schatje
Forum Moderator

Postby LB » Aug 05, 2010 3:00 pm

Hi,
Have been away from the site for awhile, but I remember chatting to you last year, and I just want to say a huge congrats and that our babies arrived on the same day!! Well done on getting through HG once again :)
L

LB

Postby sweetpea » Aug 05, 2010 7:21 pm

Congratulations!
Faith - April 1, 2009
Grace - November 26, 2010
Ladybug (foster baby) June 7, 2011

Angel baby January 2012
Angel baby February 2012

sweetpea
HG Diva

Postby crunchymama » Aug 05, 2010 11:11 pm

What a cutie! congratulations!
crunchymama
Been There Done That

Postby E-Mom » Aug 07, 2010 10:10 am

Congratulations! What wonderful news.

It's been so quiet here for so long, so I'm so happy for the Baby Fest!
Stephanie
Elliott, Kate, and Cole Image Image
E-Mom
HG Diva

Postby Nezabudka » Apr 29, 2011 6:44 pm

wow, i ansolutely loved reading your story, thank you for writing and sharing it. i am after 39 weeks and I am choosing to get an epidural this time too. I cannot wait for the baby to be here as well. Congratulations!
3xHG
3 beautiful kids - a girl (9) a boy (3), a girl (1)
Trying to get ready for baby #4
ImageImage
Nezabudka
Been There Done That

Postby DivineLotus » Apr 30, 2011 10:16 pm

Congrats, glad your HG free! :)
Second HG baby. 8/6/15
Treated with zofran, diclegis, compro, colace, jigsaw magnesium. HG 7 weeks - 17 weeks. Continued meds.

First HG baby. 4/11/11
HG 4-20weeks, little treatment, severe. Zofran, reglan, B6, placenta pervia, lost 12lbs, depression, ptsd.
DivineLotus
Opinionated HGer

Return to Birth Announcements